Tuesday, July 26, 2011

2 Cents on Defining Sanity?

They, who are often liars, say that doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results is the definition of insanity. Hopefully, this only applies if you are expecting different results. So ... surely that can't apply to watching the same movies over and over again, or can it? I'm not really expecting different results, am I? And I'm not really insane because I watch the same movie over and over again, or could I be?


It may actually be crazy --- let's face it: I know how the movie is going to end. In fact I know the beginning and middle of the movie too -- and frankly I know many, if not most, of the key lines word for word. So why do I watch the same movies over and over again?

I'm guessing I've watched Independence Day no fewer than 60 times. Maybe I do not watch the whole movie at each seating, but at least 50- 75% of it. Pretty Woman, Sex and the City, The American President, and The Prince of Tides are just a few others on my repeat list. And let me fess up - newer movies are making the repeat parade too: The Back Up Plan, Leap Year, and Letters to Juliet -- I'm hitting about 5 to 10 times each for the newer ones.

Just the other day as I was channel surfing, I noted I passed up movies I have never seen and were potentially great flicks -- for Independence Day for at least the 61st time. Why? The movie hasn't changed since the last time I saw it. Is it some kind of repetition obsession? Is it a familiarity? Comfort movies? Because let's face it - neither Sex and the City I or II was an Oscar winner. So I'm clearly not watching it for the great acting or script writing or educational content. And while I'm on Sex and the City, I watched the original HBO shows; purchased and already watched numerous times all the shows on DvDs; and now I'm watching all the sliced up/cut up reruns on cable TV channels. I'm beginning to think this is a bit insane.

But one more note to add -- I'm not bored. So that's clearly not the answer. Seriously, why do I watch the same movies over and over again? Please respond if you can answer this one.

And in future news: Why do I hit the snooze alarm over and over and over and over again?

1 comment:

  1. I do this as well, but with books. I'm not bored, and I certainly have no shortage of books, but I read my favorites over and over, sometimes finishing the same book twice in one day. I don't really know why I do it, it's almost like a comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete